OPEN CALL: GRADUATE OPPORTUNITY FOR A SITE SPECIFIC EXHIBITION IN LLANSTEFFAN MEMORIAL HALL, CARMARTHENSHIRE
CYFLE I ARTISTIAID: GWAHODDIAD I WNEUD CAIS AM ARDDANGOSFA SY’N BENODOL I SAFLE. NEUADD LLANSTEFFAN, SIR GAERFYRDDIN O CHWEFROR I EBRILL 2015.
DEADLINE: 04/02/15 (midnight)
Bringing contemporary art to a village hall near you!
Site Sit invites submission for their exciting Village Halls Pilot. This project is a crucial development of our aspirations for a contemporary arts programme in different rural communities across the UK.
We are looking for two artists who are based within a 25 mile radius of Llansteffan to join our team and create new work that responds to the locality of the exhibition space: the hall and its wider environment, village history and community.
We hope to provide a production budget to support the creation of new works and there will be a series of group development stages, where artists can gain more information about the local area. As well as developing your art practice, Site Sit invites artists to be part of the exhibition team, with everyone taking a crucial role, sharing and developing skills.
We encourage applicants to research and/or visit Llansteffan to gain ideas of what you may explore within your work. However, we anticipate these initial thoughts will evolve throughout the development process.
We are looking for recent graduates who are interested in exploring ways of production and whose practice is in visual arts. This includes but is not limited to institutional critique, sculptural, performative, socially engaged, site-specific and ephemeral practices.
The Village Halls Pilot Project includes:
• Two development session per month, on site in Llansteffan
• A historical tour of the village by a member of the Llansteffan History Society
• Financial assistance – for production of work/travel
• Exhibition in Llansteffan Memorial Hall
• Having your work documented by Site Sit
• Participation in project evaluation
To be eligible to apply you must:
• Live within a twenty five mile radius of Llansteffan (SA33 5JQ)
• Have graduated in the past two years
• Be able to commit to two days a month on site, in Llansteffan
• Be able to continue group discussion and development online
• Be available for the exhibition installation and Private View on 10/04/15 and the exhibition dates 11-12/04/15
• Be willing to participate in project evaluation
How to apply: To make an application for this project please email the following material to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• Up-to date CV (no longer than two A4 pages)
• Statement of intent/ proposal (in the region of 500 words)
• Portfolio of up to 10 images, plus descriptions (1MB max per image)
• Video/audio documentation of your time-based work (12 minutes max)
• Link to online work (if applicable)
The statement of intent should include:
• Why this project will benefit your practice
• Your approach to making
• Initial ideas and/or points of interest
• References to (relevant) past work
If you would like to use this opportunity to explore a new way of working or new direction in your practice please explain this change and how this project will help to develop this new direction.
Submissions will be adjudicated by a panel and successful candidates will be notified by 7th February, 2015.
Site Sit is an arts initiative formed by Lauren Heckler and Sophie Lindsey, as a way to explore the potential of different sites and environments for art. We aim to facilitate our own arts practice whilst giving opportunities to other artists to join us in creating new work and transferring skills. We will develop a site-conscious way of working whilst challenging preconceived ideas about traditional art spaces and the typical arts audience.